Monday, October 21, 2013

Early lesson in sacrificial giving

My 2 year old granddaughter's shoebox gift (Operation Christmas Child) was a true sacrifice, albeit not a willing one. She really wanted to color in the coloring book meant for the child who lives far, far away!

Overly indulgent grandma (me) quietly offered to her daddy (my son) to let her have it and I could easily buy another one for the shoebox. Wisely, my son said, "No, she has to learn." Quietly and gently he explained to her that she has many coloring books, but the little girl who lives far, far away has no coloring books or toys. Unconvinced, my granddaughter left the room in tears.

 Later, after peace and calm were restored, she happily helped her sister and me pack the shoeboxes. I added pictures and notes, and together we prayed over them yesterday.